Dec 14, 2010

Killing It

Happy December one and all. The dreadful November is over and while the start of this month may seems like the past weeks of hell surmounted into the ten days, well it'll soon all be over. And I don't know about the rest of you but I may die from happiness as soon as I walk in my front door in Toronto. I'm not kidding, I literally have been fantasizing about being back at home. Ottawa, you're swell but it's just not working. It's not you, it's me really. Don't get me wrong you have a lot of character, and the painfully cold weather can be...charming. But, I'm city girl and I need my massive store windows decked out in couture and ornaments, I need the homeless asking me to donate in Christmas spirit, I need a Starbucks in a one block radius at any given time for my grande-soy-Tazo-chai-no-water-no-foam, and of course I need my friends and family. I'd say not in that order but I feel like that may actually be...the order. Come next Monday I'll be packing my things and leaving. Try not to miss me. It's for the better.

So there you have it, we're taking a break. I seriously need next semester like coffee needs Bailey's. It'll just be better. There was too much going on in between September till now, I'd list it but I think everyone is stressed out enough that hearing about all my problems on a 1-20 list wouldn't do much good to your procrastinating from studying and reading this.

I crossed paths with someone recently who I hadn't seen in a while. It was weird at first, as it always is when you haven't seen someone you care(d) about in a while. But shock aside, it was nice. Not in the conventional way but it was just what I needed to really sum up this semester. I'm ready to go home. I want my family near me, as fucked up as they may be, I really do.

Anyway, a few fun common denominators for exam time. Everything that those 150 page weekly readings are trying to desperate explain to you, can and should be summed up to a paragraph. Dear scholars: Please stop trying ever so desperately to sound smart, put it in point form and call it a day. If I wanted to develop my vocabulary I would go to Chapters and pick up a nice novel. But guess what, I don't even have time to do that because for some reason you find it incredibly necessary to numb my mind with words that are longer than your own last name. Fuck off and stop being pricks. Next. Dear Carleton: Our library, yes she's a beauty I know, is unfortunately hideous. Oh, oops. I'd say its whats on the inside that counts but I'd still be wrong. Bare concrete, big surprise, is not attractive. And while I really love the 5 floors of identical cubicles and back breaking chairs being constantly stalked by the library Nazis, would it really have killed you to take my six thousand dollars and maybe switch it up a bit? Different styled desks, maybe more booths, better chairs? Wood? I duno. I know WOOD is pretty out there but when my parents, God bless them, are so willingly paying for my eduction I'd like to report home and let them know that their daughter won't be blind, from the heinous interior decorating and stark white walls, for the rest of her life because there is essentially only one place on campus to study that can be summed up as a social death trap.

So I may have a little pent up anger. More on that later.

I have one more personalized note and then I will be on my way. Dear downtown Ottawa: For the love of God why do you suck? I know, I know, people just wanna dance and mainstream is safe because everyone will know it but why do I got to the same bar every Saturday? I'll tell you why. Because it's the best out of what there is to offer. All I'm saying is that at the rate and direction that Ottawa's night life is growing there is going to be a huge increase in badly dressed sluts and while the male quota of you may be happy about this talk to me when you have herpes. Because if there is one thing for sure it's that everyone knows everyone some how. I'm not even from this place and between me and my four roommates: we know you. That sounds pretentious I'm sure but really think about it. I don't have that much hate for the market all I'm saying is that if there was more diversity, it would be fun to do things like bar hop, or meet new people. Something I haven't done in far too long. Mostly because of the excessively long lines and tundra like weather.

I'm a peach, trust me I know.

Maybe a lot of what I said sounds harsh but think about it all and see if you can relate before writing me off as a whiney bitch. Although that may be merited to a degree. For now, make it through the school year and stay warm fellow troopers. On that latter bit, kudos Ottawa on one last thing. I'm super proud that you finally discovered the Canada Goose jacket 4 years after it was actually popular. I'm a guilty owner, and I get it cause that shits warm. I just enjoy the lag in fashion. And by enjoy I mean find humorous. I'm going to make a quick attempt to save my soul and gain a little redemption from my bashfest. Here's the thing, if I really hated Ottawa so much I would leave. So clearly there are some things that make me want to stay. The above mentioned are exactly what I said they were, common denominates to the downfall of Ottawa/Carleton. I'm in no way insinuating that Toronto is much better, while that is debatable, I clearly just miss home and am currently failing to see the good here.

Torontonians are annoying as hell with how self righteous we are. I know I am. But I'm not blind to everything Ottawa has to offer. It's beautiful here, it really is. You may lack the endearing aspect of skyscrapers lining ever block that makes a city feel like home, but you're certainly cute dear O town. I wouldn't pick anywhere else to do my degree. Its a great combo of city meets university town, a hybrid. And the limited night life is probably good in my case. Self control is a weak point for me when it comes to partying and if there was a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday special night to add to the Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday I'd probably be in a ditch somewhere right now. So there you go, yes I have beef sometimes but I'll love Ottawa again one day.

I just need space right now, and some time to think.

Good luck with exams my minkies!

No comments:

Post a Comment